I am always on the lookout for healthy bread and muffin recipes. I don’t even make them all that much, but I love the smell of something baking in the oven, and the transportability of muffins for a quick snack or breakfast. What I don’t love is the usual suspects in muffins – sugar, oil, butter and white flour. With our daughter’s recent one year birthday, I needed to find a healthy “cake” I could make for her and her young cousins. I was pretty specific in my requirements, and was so excited to come across this recipe by Fit Mama. It was a HUGE hit with the little ones, and the adults as well! The only change I made to the original recipe was adding some blended beets to the icing to make it pink (in the future I would actually just leave it white – beet juice plus white dress = disaster waiting to happen).
Because this worked so well, I went right away to the same idea when I was thinking of a way to use up a ton of leftover cooked beets I had. Why not use the beets instead of the applesauce? It would add the amount of moistness I needed, while keeping the nutrients in the beets (and hiding that “beet” flavor that I like but others may not).
It worked and was DELICIOUS!
You really need to try this! My husband likes it just as much as my one year old daughter. I made them in mini-loaf pans so I could slice pieces more easily for my youngster, but they would be great in muffin form as well! Just cut the time to 16 minutes if you are using a muffin tin. These will keep in the fridge for 5 days, and in the freezer for 3 months in an airtight container. You can feel good about feeding yourself and your family, and giving them away as gifts to teachers and at bake sales 🙂 Enjoy!
Amazing Vegan Banana Bread with Beets
- 2 large ripe bananas smashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup cooked and blended beets
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil if you don't have coconut oil, olive or canola would work. If you haven't used coconut oil, give it a whirl! So delicious and light.
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract no alcohol vanilla, especially if this is for the kids
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix the wet ingredients with the smashed bananas. Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine all the ingredients together. The batter will be thick. Coat your mini loaf pan with coconut oil and fill with batter. (I usually get three mini loaves out of each batch of batter). Bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes (or until done in the center).
Enjoy! Please let me know if you’ve come across any other healthy bread or kiddie recipes! I would love to hear about them!
9 thoughts on “Amazing Vegan Banana Bread with Beets”